Ian Fleming Centenary Book - DER TOD IST NUR DER ANFANG

Schon vor langem hatte Ian Fleming Publications angekündigt, dass zu Flemings 100. Geburtstag, am 28. Mai 2008, ein neuer James Bond Roman geplant ist. Bisher wurde der Name des Autors noch unter verschluss gehalten, doch nun wurde dieser samt den Titel des Buches vorgestellt.

Hier der Artikel von mi6.co.uk

Der Autor heißt Sebastian Faulks und ist ein hoch geschätzter britischer Romanschriftsteller.
Der neue James Bond Roman mit dem Titel "Devil May Care", wird kommendes Jahr zu Flemings 100. Geburtstag von Pengium Books in Großbritanien veröffentlicht.

Faulks, der wie Fleming ein Journalist war, war sehr überrascht, als Ian Fleming Publications ihn letzten Sommer fragte, ob er ein einmaligen Bond Roman zu Ian Flemings hundersten Geburtstag schreiben möchte.
Er antwortete ihnen, dass er den letzten Bond Roman im alter von 13 las, aber nachdem er Flemings Romane erneut las, konnte er es sich vorstellen etwas in der selben Art zu schreiben. Er versuchte den Geist von Flemings Romanen so gut wie möglich aufzunehmen und entwickelte eine Prosa, die ungefähr 80 % Fleming ist. Dabei beachtete er auch den Kapitel und Satzaufbau von Fleming. Sein Roman, so beabsichtigt er, wird auf gleicher Linie mit Flemings stehen, wo die Story alles ist.
Außer dem Titel des Romanes ist noch bekannt, dass dieser zu Zeiten Flemings, also im kalten Krieg spielen wird.
Passend zu Flemings 100. Geburtstag, wird Pengium Books eine neue Auflage aller 12 Bond Romane und der 2 Kurzgeschichtenbänder, sowie alle Charlie Higson Romane und das Kinderbuch Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on Fleming, veröffentlichen.

Hört sich nicht schlecht an, aber wenn der Roman auch im deutschsprachigem Raum erscheinen wird, frage ich mich wie der Titel übersetzt wird. Devil-may-care bedeutet soviel wie "leichtsinnig", "sorglos" oder "unbekümmert". Etwas merkwürdiger Titel, finde ich. Mal sehen..., doch ich hoffe das auch hier ein Verlag zu diesem Anlass, eine neue Auflage von den Romane und am besten neu übersetzt veröffentlichen wird.

Hey, ich finds cool, dass Penguin Books das macht.
Ich freu mich schon auf das Buch und kauf es mir, wenn es auf Deutsch erscheint (vorausgesetzt es ist nicht zuuu teuer :wink: ).
Es ist klar, dass der Autor, Fleming nicht zu 100% treffen kann, in 54 Jahren ändert sich die Welt ein bisschen... :wink: aber 80% (wenn das mal stimmt) sind auch was.

Ich bin gespannt! :D
-,,Können Sie nicht abwarten bis Sie gefragt werden?"
-,,Warum fragen Sie mich dann nicht?"

(Lizenz zum Töten, 1989)

Offizielle Pressemitteilung (englisch, in deutsch scheint noch keine rausgekommen zu sein):
  • 11/07/07 - Sebastian Faulks writes the new James Bond novel, to be published by Penguin

"In his house in Jamaica, Ian Fleming used to write a thousand words in the morning, then go snorkelling, have a cocktail, lunch on the terrace, more diving, another thousand words in late afternoon, then more Martinis and glamorous women. In my house in London, I followed this routine exactly, apart from the cocktails, the lunch and the snorkelling."

Sebastian Faulks, one of Britain's most admired novelists, is announced today as the author of a brand new James Bond novel, to be published next year by Penguin Books in the UK and Doubleday in the US.

The book, entitled Devil May Care, will be published to mark the centenary of Ian Fleming's birth - 28th May 2008.

Ian Fleming Publications Ltd announced in July 2006 that a new Bond book had been commissioned and now, after a year of speculation, the author and title are revealed.

Sebastian Faulks comments, "I was surprised but flattered to be asked by the Fleming Estate last summer if I would write a one-off Bond book for the Ian Fleming Centenary. I told them that I hadn't read the books since the age of 13, but if, when I re-read them, I still enjoyed them and could see how I might be able to do something in the same vein, then I would be happy to consider it. On re-reading, I was surprised by how well the books stood up."

He continues, "I found writing this light-hearted book more thrilling than I had expected. I hope people will enjoy reading it and that Ian Fleming would consider it to be in the cavalier spirit of his own novels and therefore an acceptable addition to the line."

Fleming's last Bond book, Octopussy and the Living Daylights, was published in 1966. Forty two years later and in keeping with tradition, Devil May Care is set in the Cold War and the action is played out across two continents, exotic locations and several of the world's most thrilling cities.

Alex Clarke, the editor at Penguin, comments, "Penguin UK is delighted to be publishing Devil May Care in May 2008 to mark the centenary of Ian Fleming's birth. When we heard that Sebastian Faulks would be taking up the mantle, we knew instantly there could not be a more fitting celebration of the most iconic spy in literature and film - Bond, James Bond. Not only has Sebastian picked up from where Fleming left off, but he has also brought his own exquisite prose to the cocktail party - and, in so doing, has written a tour de force that will thrill and satisfy every kind of reader and every kind of James Bond fan."

He continues, "Devil May Care will be a superb addition to the James Bond publishing legacy. Penguin UK publishes all 14 of Fleming's Bond novels, the Charlie Higson Young Bond series, as well as Fleming's children's classic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. To mark the centenary, we will be creating a special James Bond imprint, Penguin 007 - within which Devil May Care will be published in May 2008. Visit www.penguin007.com"

Sebastian Faulks is best known for his French trilogy, The Girl at the Lion d'Or, Birdsong and Charlotte Gray. Birdsong is regularly voted one of the nation's favourite books and Charlotte Gray was filmed with Cate Blanchett as Charlotte. The trilogy has sold almost four million copies in the UK. In all, Faulks has written ten books, including eight novels, the most recent of which, Engleby, was published to widespread acclaim in May this year

Like Fleming, who was a journalist for Reuters and the Sunday Times, Faulks was a journalist for the Daily and Sunday Telegraph, he was the first Literary Editor of the Independent and later became Deputy Editor of the Independent on Sunday.

Corinne Turner, Managing Director Ian Fleming Publications Ltd comments, "We had had Sebastian Faulks in mind for our centenary novel for quite some time. I have always enjoyed and admired his novels, but it wasn't until I read On Green Dolphin Street that it occurred to me that he would be perfect for Bond. He has an ability to write totally convincingly in whichever period or genre he chooses, and that particular book made me think he might enjoy exploring the world of Ian Fleming and James Bond. I knew that it would have to be something very special to tempt him to have a go, and at the time didn't make an approach. However, when we came to think of authors for our centenary novel and his agent, quite independently, suggested Sebastian, it was just meant to be.

"The Fleming family were delighted with the typescript when we received it. Barbara Broccoli, to whom we gave a sneak preview, said if I had told her the family had found an old manuscript of Ian's in the basement, she would have believed me. Sebastian couldn't have written a better book to celebrate Ian's 100th birthday."

Devil May Care is published to mark the Ian Fleming Centenary. The book is at the centre of a larger programme of celebratory events that will run throughout 2008.

Faulks remains with his usual publisher, Random House, and comments, "I am sure Penguin will do a great job with this book, but I would like to stress that Random House remain my publishers. Hutchinson and Vintage have done a fantastic job for me over the last 20 years and I will stay with them for as long as they will have me -- for another 20 years at least, I hope."

- - -

Bild

I was surprised but flattered to be asked by Ian Fleming Publications last summer if I would write a one-off Bond book for the Ian Fleming centenary.

I told them that I hadn't read the books since the age of 13, but if when I re-read them I still enjoyed them and could see how I might be able to do something in the same vein then I would be happy to consider it.

After almost five years researching Victorian psychiatry for Human Traces, there was something attractive about a jeu d'esprit which, if I followed Fleming's own prescription, I could write in about six weeks.

On re-reading, I was surprised by how well the books stood up. I put this down to three things: the sense of jeopardy Fleming creates about his solitary hero; a certain playfulness in the narrative details; and a crisp, journalistic style that hasn't dated.

I tried to isolate the essential and the most enjoyable aspects of the books. Then I took that pattern and added characters and a story of my own with as much speed and as many twists as I thought the reader could bear.

I developed a prose that is about 80 per cent Fleming. I didn't go the final distance for fear of straying into pastiche, but I strictly observed his rules of chapter and sentence construction.

My novel is meant to stand in the line of Fleming's own books, where the story is everything.

In his house in Jamaica, Ian Fleming used to write a thousand words in the morning, then go snorkelling, have a cocktail, lunch on the terrace, more diving, another thousand words in late afternoon, then more Martinis and glamorous women. In my house in London, I followed this routine exactly, apart from the cocktails, the lunch and the snorkelling.

I found writing this light-hearted book more thrilling than I had expected. I hope people will enjoy reading it and that Ian Fleming would consider it to be in the cavalier spirit of his own novels and therefore an acceptable addition to the line.

Biography, Sebastian Faulks

Sebastian Faulks was born in April 1953. He was brought up in Newbury, Berkshire, and educated at Wellington College and Cambridge (the background for much of his recently published novel Engleby). Before resolving to become a full-time writer in 1991, he worked as a journalist for the Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph (1978-86) and as Literary Editor and Deputy Editor of the Independent (1986-91). His "French trilogy" of novels - The Girl at the Lion d'Or, Birdsong and Charlotte Gray (1989-1997) - established him in the front rank of British novelists: UK sales of Birdsong exceed 2,500,000 copies, and for this book he was named "Author of the Year" by the British Book Awards in 1995. Other novels include A Fool's Alphabet (1992), On Green Dolphin Street (2001) and Human Traces (2005). His biographical study of three doomed young men of the 20th century, The Fatal Englishman, was published in 1996.

Sebastian Faulks lives in London with his wife and their three children.

Bibliography

A Trick of the Light Bodley Head, 1984
    The Girl at the Lion d'Or Hutchinson, 1989
    A Fool's Alphabet Hutchinson, 1992
    Birdsong Hutchinson, 1993
    The Fatal Englishman: Three Short Lives Hutchinson, 1996
    Charlotte Gray Hutchinson, 1998
    The Vintage Book of War Stories (editor with Jorg Hensgen) Vintage, 1999
    On Green Dolphin Street Hutchinson, 2001
    Human Traces Hutchinson, 2005
    Pistache Hutchinson, 2006
    Engleby Hutchinson, 2007
Auch unter http://www.penguin007.com nachzulesen (mit hübschem 100stel-Sekunden Countdown).

Werde das Buch sicherlich auch kaufen, aber warum auf eine deutsche Übersetzung warten, wenn das Original viel originaler ( :wink: ) ist? Zudem las ich auf faz.net, dass die wörtliche Übersetzung des Titels Nach mir die Sintflut sei. :shock: Ein weiterer Grund, die englische Ausgabe zu kaufen, falls denn dies der deutsche Titel wird.
Grow up, 007°''!
“You know, James Bond’s mother is Swiss. That will make it all worthwhile.” Marc Forster

Nach mir die Sinflut, ist auch eine Übersetzung ins deutsche, macht aber irgendwie überhaupt keinen Sinn, finde ich. Das klingt irgendwie viel zu Umgangssprachlich, denn wenn man die drei Wörter getrennt betrachtet (Devil= Teufel, Böse etc.), (May= mag oder auch der Monat Mai) und (Care= Achtsamkeit, Behandlung, Sorgeetc.) haben die mit "Nach mir die Sintflut, rein ganichts gemeinsam. Im Englisch Wörterbuch findet man nicht nur "Nach mir die Sintflut", sondern auch "vollständig unbekümmert". Aber so richtig Ahnung davon hab ich auch nicht, vieleicht gibt es hier jemandem vom Fach.

Nein Tom! ;)

Also ich würde den Roman übersetzen mit:

-"Der Teufel wird sich drum kümmern"
-"Geschäft des Teufels"
o.ä.

Ich bin jedenfalls schon sehr gespannt auf dem Roman. Zur Zeit sitze ich noch an FRWL.
Every Legend has a beginning.
James Bond, Special Agent SIS:
"The Property of a Lady"

Laut Heyne kommt das Buch auch bei uns im Mai:

Der Tod ist nur der Anfang
Ein James-Bond-Roman

Originaltitel: Devil May Care
Originalverlag: Penguin Books
Aus dem Englischen von Jürgen Bürger

Gebundenes Buch, 320 Seiten, 13,5 x 20,6 cm
ISBN: 978-3-453-26602-5
€ 12,95 [D] | € 13,40 [A] | SFr 23,90 (UVP)

Heyne

Erscheinungstermin: Mai 2008
Bild

And the winner is: SAL

http://uk.myspace.com/devilmaycarebook

Bis auf den Anfang gefällt mir dieser Song recht gut...

Aber ich muss trotzdem noch daran gewöhnen: EIn Song zu einem Buch

Um Obelix zu zitieren: "Die spinnen, die Briten"

Wer von euch kauft sich das Buch???

Und @ RW06
RW06 hat geschrieben:besser zweimal als einmal! :wink:
Besser einmal gespammt als keinmal, oder? Was soll dieser bescheuerte Kommentar.
"The name's Bond. James Bond."

Victor 'Renard' Zokas hat geschrieben: Wer von euch kauft sich das Buch???
Ich habe definitiv Interesse an dem Buch. Bei Amazon.de gefiel mir auch der Satz: "ZUM 100. GEBURTSTAG VON IAN FLEMING: der offizielle neue James-Bond-Roman".

Der Preis ist auch in Ordnung und wenn der Autor einen ähnlichen Schreibstil verwendet hat (und das auch bei der Übersetzung noch berücksichtigt werden kann), macht mich das auf englisch, als auch auf deutsch neugierig.
Ich werde aber die deutsche Ausgabe auf jeden Fall unterstützen, denn mit anderen Bondbüchern auf deutsch (von CR und anderen jüngeren Nicht-Fleming-Abenteuern einmal abgesehen) sieht es ja auf dem deutschen Markt derzeit eher weniger gut aus.

Viele Grüße,

GoldenEagle

Ich habe mir das Buch nun auch (vor)bestellt. Allerdings habe ich mich mal für die englische Version entschieden.

Ist eigentlich bekannt ob der Roman von der Story her frühere Fleming-Storylines weiterführt?

Mal sehen, vielleicht wird ja Devil May Care der nächste Bondfilm nach QOS, allerdingsdings in die Neuzeit verlegt, wär doch was ;)
"In a Bond film you aren't involved in cinema verite or avant-garde. One is involved in colossal fun."

Terence Young